Where are you, honey?”
Each time the Longbottom family came to their ancestral island, Grace was found under the pole, staring at the rusted key hanging from it. She was told that her great-great-great-great-grandfather was a treasure hunter and this was the key to a treasure he couldn’t find and so he had hung the key as a reminder for the generations ahead to do what he couldn’t.
But of course, this was just one of the made-up stories to engage the kids and fuel their imagination.
Grace would get enchanted by the umpteen stories about the adventures of her great-great-great-great-grandfather. She’d often become a treasure hunter while playing with her friends. Imagining that perhaps one day she would be the one to find the treasure for her great-great-great-great-grandfather.
Grace held the rusted key in her hands pretending to unlock the treasure box hidden under the couch. She gasped when she opened it, for it was filled with candies.
But time passed and Grace grew up, oblivious that the treasure thought to be fiction woven in words…
…is very much real, buried deep in the earth, waiting to be unlocked with the rusted key.
Word limit: 196
How to participate in Words on Wednesday #WoWe
Hello and welcome to #WoWe our hashtag for this Blog Hop called
Words On Wednesday.
We are Mayuri and Rashi, your hosts.
- A new prompt will be up on both our blogs, every Wednesday morning.
- Subscribe to our blogs and follow us on Twitter @Mayuri6 and @Rashi_AMital to get your Weekly Prompt.
- Write a 200 word story relevant to the Prompt of the Week.
- Use the Hashtag #WoWe in your Post Title and the Badge at the end of your post.
- Link up your post with Mayuri or Rashi on their Blogs.
- The linky opens from 11 am every Wednesday and closes at 11 pm on Tuesday night.
- Read and Comment on, and share the Host and Co-hosts posts, and at least two more posts linked.
- Share your post on Social Media using the Hashtag #WoWe
- Mayuri and Rashi will pick one, or more, Featured Blogger each week, based on the content and popularity of the post.
- Winner will be announced on Wednesday morning at 11 am.
- Stories using adult/abusive/racist language or tones and those that we find disturbing shall not be accepted.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party! Click here to enter
6 Comments on “The Rusted Key #WoWe”
Now that end took me by surprise! Good one, Rashi.
Thanks much, Mayuri. Initially, i wrote a different end. But then it didn’t sound exciting. So changed to this. Thanks again. 🙂
Now this is interesting. I didn’t expect this ending. Good one, Rashi. ?
Haha. Thanks much, Varsha. I had, initially, written a different end, but wasn’t satisfied. So this one was finalized. 🙂
A t times we discount the word of mouth tale to be imaginative without realizing that all fiction have their seeds in some obscure reality
Absolutely true, Neha. Every fiction story has seeds from reality. Thanks for reading. Hope you write for #WoWe this week. 🙂